General Assembly: Ruby on Rails Engineer
Headquarters: New York, NY
Software Engineerat General Assembly (View all jobs)
WHO ARE WE?
Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post-Series C, NYC-based startup in our fourth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne, and Washington DC. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
Who you are
We are looking for talented & creative engineers to join our growing team, and help us build great products.
- You have 3-5 years of experience as a mid to senior level engineer
- You’re used to working with Rails & Ruby and you have advanced experience building RESTful web services & APIs
- You have experience working with a variety of languages, with a strong grasp of their pros & cons
- You’re a kind & respectful person, invested in contributing to a wonderful team culture (bullies & big egos strictly not allowed)
- You are occasionally enthusiastic to the point of being profoundly uncool
- You get insanely excited by at least 1 thing that has absolutely nothing to do with computers
Some other things that would be really nice to have …
- Strong front-end development skills
- Experience designing service-oriented architecture
- Web operations or system administration experience
What we build
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to gamechanger. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. What are these teams working on?
- Data & systems that support our global campus business – https://generalassemb.ly/locations
- Evolving large applications into an ecosystem of microservices
- Innovative online education experiences for consumer & enterprise users – https://generalassemb.ly/education/web-design-circuit
- Platforms to connect our community of students & alumni – http://profiles.ga.co
- Internal tools supporting every part of our organization
What it’s like to be on the team
- We use GitHub for code review, Code Climate and Semaphore to keep entropy at bay, and Heroku to focus on building things
- We favor trying new things over fear of mistakes
- We are anti-dogmatic: use whatever code editor you like, pair-program when you like
- We try to seek a balance between sticking with what works and fearlessly exploring the new
- We are always learning, always teaching
- We are passionate about writing good code
- We apologize for and learn from our mistakes
- We have worked hard to build a culture of trust, continual improvement, and mutual support
We <3 remotes!
Even though GA is headquartered in New York City, more than half of our engineering team is not. We remote in from little towns and big cities from California to the Netherlands. And even our New York devs spend the odd day (or month) working from home or elsewhere.
We are serious about making remote collaboration work, with tools like Slack, Skype, and Screenhero becoming a big part of our daily lives.
Four times a year, we fly the whole engineering team to New York for a few days of workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures, and an epic hackathon.
Position is full-time with competitive salary, stock options and great benefits. NYC or Remote. Benefits include: 401k, iPhone + cell plan, Macbook + 27″ monitor, medical + dental + vision insurance, MTA transit credit and 50% discounted gym membership (in NYC).