Senior Android Developer at Coolblue (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
As an Android Developer you make sure our mobile app becomes the best e-commerce app in Europe.
What you tell people at parties
“I make sure Coolblue can go straight from your pocket to your fingertips.”
What you really do
- Develop a brand new e-commerce application with a focus on customer amazement.
- Work together with team members to write Java code for Android.
- Research how cutting-edge developments in the Android landscape can be used to improve our app and development process.
- Evangelize your app mentality to your colleagues.
How you do it
- You prioritize your own work together with your team and Product Owner. You’ll receive feedback directly from end-users and you’ll have a lot of opportunities to experiment.
- You build and improve the quality of the Android code and ensure a maintainable architecture.
- You coach your team members and provide feedback.
You’ll become part of the mobile app team: an Agile, multidisciplinary team that currently consists of 7 members.. Each team member has his or her own speciality: from development to Digital Interaction design. Your team is supported by a Team Lead, Product Owner, and a Scrum Master. Together with your team, you’ll work on the ultimate goal: creating the best retail app in Europe.
A day at the office
You work with Hindrik, mobile developer, on improving the code of the search controller. The code is a bit of a mess and you need to restructure it in order to add the scroll feature. Hindrik hasn’t worked a lot with the MVVM pattern, so you can show him some options on how to implement it. Once you’re done, it’s already lunchtime. Wow, time sure flies!
After lunch, you talk to Marijn, Team Lead, about integrating the website’s checkout system into the mobile app. He gives you a lot of useful information, so you immediately plan a meeting with the team to talk about different solutions.
At the end of the day, Fer, mobile developer, calls the team together to do a team check. He finished adding customer reviews to the product page. You observe and ask him some questions. Everybody is happy with the result; it looks nice and works smooth. Because it’s Friday, you all decide to go out and have a drink. Success should be celebrated!
What we’re asking
- You are smart and have some way to prove it.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as an Android developer.
- You’re experienced when it comes to improving your colleagues craftsmanship and technical skills.
- You care about code quality.
- Scrum/Agile way of working is almost your second nature.
- You have deep understanding and proven experience building mobile apps at scale.
- You have experience in developing mobile applications with TDD & BDD.
- You take pride in what you do, but welcome feedback.
- You are adaptable and don’t mind stepping outside of your comfort zone.
- Willing to relocate to Rotterdam (or you are within daily travel distance).
What we’re offering
- Over 30 training courses at our own Coolblue University.
- A 10% discount on all of our products.
- An awesome workplace. With freshly prepared meals, monthly TGIF drinks, epic Coolblue parties, team activities, and an informal, playful office space.
- 25 leave days. As long as you’ll promise to come back.
- Travel allowance and a retirement plan.
- An office at the best possible location. It’s only a short stumble away from Rotterdam Central Station. Or a 2-minute walk.
- Relocation assistance, from A to Z (if you live abroad).
- Dutch language courses. To help you become a Rotterdammert.
- An international work environment. With colleagues from places like Belgium, Spain, Australia, Mexico, and Italy.
- Parties. All-night LAN.
- Plenty of space for initiatives and original ideas. We welcome them. Whether you’ve been with us for a week, month, or year.