Data Analyst at SumOfUs (New York, NY) (allows remote)
SumOfUs is paradise for a data nerd — it was founded by one. Since we started 5 years ago, our community now includes over 13.5 million members who have taken action with us, and they’re all recorded in our very easy-to-access database. In order to take our program to the next level, we need to ramp up support for data, metrics, and innovative experiments throughout the organization.
Our Manager of Analytics & Data Science has built an awesome cross-functional team to work on innovation and optimization, by bringing together campaigners, engineers, and analysts to super-charge our digital program. As our new Data Analyst, you will be supporting every aspect of that experimental work. You will also be analyzing the effectiveness of our digital programs over time, identifying and evaluating key performance indicators, and handling critical data tasks, such as creating SQL reports, monitoring email deliverability, and integrating data from other systems.
You can work remotely from any timezone ranging between GMT-5 hours to GMT+1 hour. For example, you could be located in the UK, Brazil, New York or Eastern Americas.
Who we are
We are SumOfUs: a movement of 13.5 million people, brought together by a global team of 34 campaigners, technologists, media-fanatics, data-geeks, and strategists. We’re passionate, we’re low-ego, and we’re fun to work with. Our purpose is to challenge corporate power everywhere. We hold the biggest corporations in the world (and their political allies) to account by mobilising millions of people to take collective action.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Work closely with campaigners to ensure they have easy access to the metrics they need to make strategic, data-driven decisions; develop MySQL queries, dashboards, spreadsheets, charts, etc. to provide this information in a clear and friendly format
- Figure out if our emails are getting through to all our members, or if they are being filtered by ISPs; develop and implement strategies to make sure our emails are always reaching our target audience
- Work closely with the member experience and fundraising teams to develop, implement, and refine our list of testing and analytics priorities.
- Support the implementation of new organizational metrics for measuring important, but hard-to-quantify, outcomes, such as member engagement
- Manage data quality — make sure our database is clean, is recording all important information, and that the data is structured in such a way to make key queries as easy as possible to undertake
- Train our staff on basic analytics concepts (like statistical significance), basic SQL and Excel skills and other useful data-related tools; build a culture of testing across the organization
- Engage with the broader progressive movement by disseminating our key testing findings to allies and building the culture of testing into our partnerships.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience and the location you live in (for some context: for qualified applicants, in New York city this position will pay between approximately $60,000 to $70,000), plus 8% retirement fund contributions.
We offer significant benefits, including:
- the ability to work from home or a co-working space,
- flexibility to set your own hours,
- five weeks vacation time per year,
- paid sick leave,
- six months paid parental leave,
- private health insurance, and
- 8% retirement fund contributions.
This is position is for 18 months, with strong possibility of extension.
This position will report to Tara Harwood, Manager of Analytics & Data Science.
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; new parents; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Applications are open at https://sumofus.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0mrh4.
Please upload your resume and a PDF document with your answers to the following 4 questions in English:
- Why are you applying for this job as Data Analyst at SumOfUs?
- Scenario: A staff member wants to test the effect of different colors of the call-to-action button in our email campaigns. She asks you what sample size she should use for each variation. What are the top 3-5 questions you would ask her in order to provide support?
- Take a look at our campaign page: https://actions.sumofus.org/a/amazon-stop-investing-in-hate/?source=recruiter. If you were asked design to a/b experiments on this page with the goal of increasing conversions, what 2-3 page elements would you recommend testing first, and why?
- Look at the “nice to have” skills listed above, and outline which ones you believe you bring, with a few words of explanation if that’s useful.
Please make sure your application includes responses to these questions and is submitted through the form at https://sumofus.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0mrh4.
Applications are open until Wednesday July 26, 2017, at 5.00pm US Eastern time.