Software and Infrastructure Architect (remote) at HeyOrca! (St. John’s, NL, Canada) (allows remote)
Full Job Description Available Here:
What is HeyOrca?
As a developer, you have probably done some freelance or consulting work. The success of such project relies on effective communication between you, your team and the external stakeholders of the project by defining goals, deliverables, collaborating on work and communicating the results. Marketing agencies work similarly: they help tens and hundreds of clients with their marketing strategy and content; all with different deadlines and deliverables. HeyOrca is a web-based tool to make sense of this chaos: bringing the marketing team and their clients together in one place to communicate, create and deliver. Think of it as GitHub for marketing agencies.
The wise one
At HeyOrca, our 8-10 developers are creating numerous features and refactoring a great deal over multiple technology stacks and containers. Getting things done sometimes prevents us from having things well thought out. That’s why we need an experienced person who knows the way and its pitfalls: the wise one.
That’s where you come in. We are looking for a software architect who has seen teams and software scale and can align our team efforts with a software and infrastructure architecture and design that benefits HeyOrca and its customers.
This position is open to remote applicants.
Your responsibilities revolve around designing and deploying the software and infrastructure architecture that benefits HeyOrca the most:
- Understanding the business and development goals
- Creating and maintenance reference architecture
- Making architectural recommendations to the development teams based on their project goals
- Implementing software design and architectural solutions
- Manage our AWS-based infrastructure
- Automation of infrastructure tasks and implementing infrastructure as code
- Experimenting with and implementing new technologies and processes
- Defining and executing training plans for the development team
We believe that being separated from the code-base will create a gap between the assumptions and reality of software development. Successful applicants will be spending a considerable portion of their time working with the team to develop software.
As a qualified applicant,
- You have experience with AWS and its services (EC2, EBS, S3, CloudFormation, Route 53, CloudWatch, ElastiCache, SQS)
- You are an experienced software developer and have an in-depth understanding of software development best practices
- You are skilled with relational and non-relational databases
- You are thoroughly familiar with agile methodologies and their best practices
- have experience with different release strategies
- Design Patterns
- Trunk-Based Development
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Before we tell you about HeyOrca, read what others think of us:
HeyOrca was founded in January 2015, has passed two rounds of investment by some of the best venture capital funds in Atlantic Canada and now consists of over 30 brilliant minds. We mostly work from our office location in St. John’s with an open office concept where you can listen to sales calls, ask our designer for feedback or get some help with your code. That doesn’t mean we don’t know how to focus: feel free to put on your headphones or go to one of the quiet office rooms to work. We also have a smaller office in Toronto for our remote team.
We believe that HeyOrca is the right place for you, if:
- You want to make an impact in the early to mid stages of a successful tech company,
- You value learning and experimenting new ways of doing things,
- You are eager to take new responsibilities and face new challenges,
- You fear complacency and are willing to push yourself harder,
- You enjoy doing all the above all day every day.
At the end of the day, a company is only the sum of its people and we genuinely can’t say enough of this team. We want amazing people like you to be part of this, grow with us and have a fulfilling career.
PS. We actually have other positions open, so check them out and spread the word if you like what we do.