Director, Engineering at Achievement Network (Boston, MA) (allows remote)
Location: Flexible (Boston preferred)
Position is available: Immediately
Reporting to the Vice President, Technology, the Director, Engineering is responsible for managing members of the Engineering Team who create the software products and tools that best support our mission. They will partner closely with various internal teams while managing the team responsible for building the capabilities and features for a web application (myANet) that provides access to data reports and instructional materials that teachers and school leaders use to help shape excellent instruction for students. The Director, Engineering will oversee the development of our software solutions, creating the capabilities and enhancements that are needed to support our work by leveraging a combination of custom software applications and integration of 3rd party services into our technical platform.
ANet is flexible to remote working with appropriate experience and a history of successfully mentoring other developers remotely. Occasional travel to ANet’s National Office in Boston will be necessary, so proximity to the New England area and eastern time zone is preferable.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build, develop, and retain a high-performing and highly engaged team of engineers
- Lead the development of our software applications and tools
- Manage software deployments (DevOps), manage our AWS environment
- Represent Engineering in strategic product discussions, helping to scope solutions to meet both timing needs as well as business requirements
- Build relationships and collaborate with cross-functional peers, ensuring strong communication and coordination
- Work with the Vice President of Technology to manage our Engineering budget, allocate resources, and to ensure the team is delivering high quality products on-time and within budget
- Improve our technical infrastructure; Obsesses about technical debt
- Work with VP, Product Management on overall software development processes
- Lead the team in executing the development sprints
- Champion ANet’s core values
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have a track record of building and managing successful Agile engineering teams and are energized by developing and coaching others to do their best work
- You have direct experience in a combination of the following:
- Scrum or other Agile development processes
- Cloud-based infrastructure on AWS, including continuous integration and deployment
- RESTful Web Services
- Cloud-based data services, preferably with both SQL and NoSQL
- Java, Angular, and/or Go programming language
- You know what it takes to develop and release large, high-quality software applications and have demonstrated exceptional judgment regarding resource tradeoffs
- You are adept at project and time management, with experience leading long-term projects alongside changing priorities in both project and product requirements
- You are an exceptional communicator, both written and verbal, and are skilled in communicating with audiences that have varying levels of technical expertise
- You believe in ANet’s mission and share our passion for increasing opportunities for children in underserved communities while operating with a sense of urgency in the support of schools
- You are committed to living out ANet’s Core Values daily and are open to examining personal archetypes and bias while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege, all of which relate to our Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- You have prior software development experience in an education, EdTech, and/or nonprofit setting
- You bring exposure to building products or services for the education market, ideally for teachers
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or related degree
- For candidates interested in working remotely, you bring demonstrated experience and previous success working remotely
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are accepting applications for this position immediately. To apply, please visit our Job Board (http://www.achievementnetwork.org/careers/). After clicking on the title associated with this role, you will be prompted to create an application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter. In your cover letter, please outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling and urgent basis.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.