Senior Backend Engineer @ Knotch
Knotch is a feedback and measurement platform used by some of the world’s largest brands and distributed on some of the internet’s most popular publications. Despite our product’s success and growth, our team is still very lean and nimble. We believe building a strong engineering culture is the key to building a kickass company and product. Part of that vision is working with the right tools for the job, many of which are open source. Our stack includes Ruby, NodeJS, Postgres, MongoDB, Rails, Grape, Express, Redis, React, D3, StatsD, Docker, Terraform, Ansible, a lot of AWS, a Slackbot named Gnomie, and that’s just a taste.
We are looking for senior software engineers that are passionate about problem solving, learning, teaching, and programming elegant solutions. We move fast and something you start building today may end up in production, well today, possibly tomorrow. We’re a small team, so you’ll be given a load of responsibility as soon as you join. You’ll have the power to take ownership of entire projects or features. You will influence architecture decisions, bring new methodologies to our development process and have an important and impactful say in how we build our platform.
We’re not a needy bunch, but we’ll need the following from you:
- Fluency in at least one interpreted language
- Relational database and schema design expertise (Postgres preferred)
- A love for all things data. Experience building data products or pipelines is a plus.
- Experience scaling APIs, databases, and infrastructure
- A strong understanding of cloud computing and hands on experience with AWS
- An entrepreneurial mindset and attitude with a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get things done
- The ability to work independently. You’re self-motivated with a high degree of intellectual curiosity.
- A competitive but egoless personality
- You stop and think before you write a line of code
Let me tell you a little about us:
- Our backend is primarily built in Ruby, but only a small percentage of our code runs on Rails.
- We prefer stable and known technologies over the latest and greatest new shiny tool on the block
- We think building stuff is more interesting than meetings, so we try not to have too many
- Our team isn’t emotionally attached to our code. There’s no sacred cows here.
- We enjoy experimenting and spiking projects before building them out
- Everyone on our team has a voice and is encouraged to use it
- Our company is an open book and we are very transparent about all things Knotch
- We are well funded, have a business model, and make actual revenue
Here’s what’s in it for you:
- No shortage of interesting business and technology challenges
- A competitive base salary with equity
- Free health, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation and sick days
- Flexible work from home / remote policy
- Free lunch
- Free metrocard
- Cool office with access to all the major subways
- Company retreats and fun events
- Dog friendly office. Don’t worry, if you don’t have your own you can play with Frida and Sarge.
- Snacks and a healthy rotation of LaCroix flavors
We are in New York City on the border of SoHo / Tribeca / Chinatown