AS/400 COBOL Programmer at Harris Local Government (Biloxi, MS) (allows remote)
At Harris Local Government we are focused on our vision – creating an environment where our employees can realize their dreams both personally & professionally; creating an environment that supports customer loyalty by building long lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with our customers; and ensuring we have the underlying financial & business model that supports the continued investments required to realize our vision.
Our growth is fueled by our focus on developing and acquiring financial management software solutions solely for the public sector. Our experience and expertise have enabled us to continually offer products and services that exceed our clients’ expectations and meet their changing technology needs.
If you are a software developer with experience in AS/400 and COBOL development skills…WE WANT YOU!
The AS/400 COBOL programmer is a critical member of the team responsible for maintaining and enhancing our suite of financial and billing software for county governments. Our software is a crucial part of our customer’s day-to-day job duties so staying on top of state requirements as well as providing enhancements that make that day-to-day easier is the primary function of our team.
What will be your impact?
- Analyze business requirements; identify product impact and possible implementation options, and recommend the solution that best suits the needs of the customers and HLG
- Create and maintain application code that meets design specifications, follows HLG standards, and is easy to maintain, including documentation
- Perform code review for technical accuracy, standards, and functional compliance to the requirements
- Provide Level 3 support of our applications
- Maintain product documentation to reflect enhancements and other software changes
- Work within deadlines in relation to product release timelines, and consistently complete assigned development tasks in required timeframes
What are we looking for?
- Track record of COBOL programming experience (IBM COBOL Preferred – AS400, i5)
- Experience with Software Requirements Specifications, and strong interpretative skills to understand design requirements
- Experience developing software in a team environment
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written, that includes ability to communicate with internal and external people as changes occur in tasks assigned
- Customer-service orientation
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
What we would love to see?
- Zend Server, .NET and/or PHP experience will be an asset
- Knowledge of CIS, operations, billing or financial systems
- Scrum and Agile practices experience will be an asset
What we offer?
- Opportunity to fulfill your professional goals as well as achieve your personal goals and dreams
- Casual work environment that offers comfort while providing superior service to our customers
- Excellent fringe benefits including a generous vacation policy and health, dental, life and disability insurance.
- Salary Range: $50 – $75k (Salary will be commensurate with experience and job responsibilities)
- Biloxi, MS Office (PREFERRED Location)
- Any of our other Harris Local Government Offices (Niagara Falls, NY; Easley, SC; Greensboro, NC; Bangor, ME; Libertyville, IL)