Principal Cloud Software Engineer w/ Python at Comcast (Reston, VA)
Comcast’s Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
The Cloud Automation team delivers automation tools and technology that powers Comcast’s industry-leading internal cloud, and provides solutions to accelerate development of cloud-based products and services. We build our tools to enable customers to build and manage their virtual hosts in the private and public clouds used by Comcast. We are in many ways an applied research organization: taking cutting-edge technical concepts and delivering them as new capabilities through modern, robust engineering practices. As a Software Engineer, you will be a full-time contributor to the team, having the opportunity to influence design and implementation on a regular basis. On our team leadership is earned and not appointed; your communication and collaboration skills are just as important if not more important than your technical skills
We are seeking aPrincipal Cloud Software Engineerwith a broad technical background and well developed business acumen to help us create our next generation Cloud Automation tools using cutting edge technology. Our team is driving innovation and our fingerprint is all over the industry. Come join us!
- Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity.
- Writing production-quality, tested code.
- Performing code reviews, even of more senior team members.
- Collaborating with peer and stakeholder teams to provide outstanding customer service.
- Working with product development teams to assist them in meeting their business goals through judicious application of Cloud Automation technologies.
- Providing guidance and accepting accountability for the performance and reliability of various cross-platform applications and services; ensures that failures are rectified in a timely manner.
- Performing analysis and optimization of production systems.
- Planning and design of scalable solutions.
- Serving as an ambassador of Cloud Automation team to the broader technical community, both inside and outside Comcast, via a combination of authorship of technical papers, journal articles, and/or blog posts; and delivering presentations at technical conferences, meetups, user groups, etc.
- Driving issues through to closure: engaging all appropriate resources, leading technical bridges and providing troubleshooting direction. Functioning with great autonomy and independently providing guidance and recommended solutions to complex technical issues within and outside the department.
- Acting as an advocate for engineering and operations procedures, best policies, and processes. Ensuring projects are fully integrated into the operations environment including lifecycle problem management from front line CARE through Engineering.
- Creating data and metric systems to track operational workflows; maintains records of results and feedback. Analyzing data and metrics, identifies problem areas, and provides actionable insight to management.
- Providing input to engineering and vendors on defects and required enhancements. Providing consultative direction and developing long-term objectives and plans. Determining resources, technology, and course of action to achieve results.
- Leading the integration of projects into operations including instrumentation, automation, standardization, and methods/procedures.
- Advocating for internal/external customers’ business needs-must influence and drive Comcast executives to make new investments in technology and opportunities. Serving as internal expert within department relative to the most complex development problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
- Providing functional, team, and program leadership on a regular basis on multiple projects, spanning different engineering disciplines within the organization. Taking the lead on developing new principles and concepts.
Successful candidates for the Principal Cloud Software Engineer position should possess broad experience in many of the following areas:
- 8+ years programming experience
- Experience with a variety of programming languages including Python, Ruby (Golang is a plus)
- Experience with Openstack, AWS, and Azure
- Experience with container technology like Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with configuration management technology like Ansible and Puppet
- Understanding on how to scale applications depending on load
- High level of proficiency with Unix operating systems
- Good communication skills and ability to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Great design and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Ability to comfortably work in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer