Frontend Engineering Team Lead @ DuckDuckGo
We are a diverse team from around the world working together on a mission to make DuckDuckGo the world’s most trusted search engine, and we want your help!
Join us as the Frontend Engineering Team Lead and help lead, inspire and motivate a diverse team of frontend engineers as they build technology that powers the DuckDuckGo search engine.
As part of our growing team, you will be responsible for coordinating front-end engineering efforts across the entire company. As a technical leader, you will guide the front-end engineering team through difficult architecture decisions, tactical tradeoffs, and instill strong engineering practices. As an experienced front-end engineer, you will lead by example, help write code, review pull requests, and roll your sleeves up to solve technical challenges of all sizes. As a people manager, you will foster a collaborative environment, create learning opportunities to train and develop existing members of the team, as well as hire new team members as the needs of the company grow.
We are a remote company, meaning our employees can work wherever they want around the world. We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Coordinate the execution of front-end engineering tasks across the entire company.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to a team of front-end engineers with diverse skill sets.
- Instill strong software engineering practices within the team while maintaining a sense of agility and pragmatism.
- Create learning opportunities to develop and grow members of the team.
- Manage the hiring process for all new front-end engineers.
- Write pragmatic, testable code that works consistently across all permutations of devices and browsers.
What we are looking for:
- Significant front-end engineering and architecture experience with large, messy, complex web applications.
- Data-driven decision makers. You value data over opinions when making product and engineering decisions.
- Experience leading and growing a team of software engineers.
- Effective project management skills.
- Cross functional collaborators. You like working with lots of different stakeholders, understanding their needs and driving the best solutions forward.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative and can validate and communicate your decisions clearly.
Other things to know:
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools throughout the day. – You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel at least 2x a year: once for our all-hands meetup and another for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days)
- We want to have a major impact on raising the standard of trust online. To do this we believe in a focused approach, with company-wide objectives, and with each team member working on a single top priority at a time.
- Our work philosophy is built upon empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- All projects are run transparently, and we encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback around the product and internal projects.
- We try to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
A successful candidate will be transitioned into the leadership role after the internal contract and an onboarding period.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you by completing the following application.