Big Data Architect at Excella Consulting (Arlington, VA)
Excella Consulting is a leading provider of Agile software development and data and analytics solutions to clients in the federal, commercial and non-profit sectors. We believe that great work leads to great things –- our experts measure success by the positive impact we make on our clients, community, and colleagues. We are growing fast and need passionate, innovative people who love working with technology and are ready to make an impact.
Here’s what you can expect from us:
- We care about our employees. In fact, The Washington Post and The Washington Business Journal consistently rank us as a “Best Place to Work.”
- You’ll work with great people who love what they do: our team includes published authors, certified trainers, and internationally renowned speakers.
- We have a “bring your own device” workplace and will share the cost of a new computer of your choice — Mac or PC. It’s up to you.
- We’ll invest in your career by providing 3 days of paid professional development every year, including travel and registration fees to attend classes and conferences, in addition to tuition assistance for degrees and certifications.
- Starting day one, every employee is bonus eligible and receives 17 days of paid vacation.
- You can bike, drive, or metro to work — our commute reimbursement plan has you covered.
- We cater dinner once a month, and always have healthy snacks available!
- You’ll have fun! We hold monthly happy hours and events all year long, including a summer weekend getaway for you and your family, and a formal winter party for you and a guest.
The Data Solutions Architect lead the design of modern analytics environments that comprise of raw data stores (data lakes) and cleansed data repositories (data warehouse, datamarts) hosted in the Cloud and populated by batch or streaming data pipelines. The Architect creates a robust, sustainable and flexible architecture and leads the technical delivery using Agile delivery frameworks like Scrum or Kanban. The Architect is a proven leader and mentor, enabling and serving the development team.
- Partners with the Business Analyst to understand the organization challenges and pain points, desired business outcomes and provides technical feasibility insight and solution options to develop a product backlog.
- Defines the technical solution vision and is able to clearly communicate this to both business (end user) audiences and technical (development team) audiences.
- Works with an agile development team to provide technical leadership during solution design and development.
- Designs conceptual, logical and physical data models.
- Leads data integration design, advising clients on the appropriate data platforms and tools, automation of workflows, error handling and data quality frameworks ensuring a viable solution maintenance model.
- Acts as a technical escalation point for the team.
- Able to deliver simple to complex end-to-end analytics solutions on-time, on-budget, and with a high level of quality.
- Uses each member of the assigned development team efficiently by assigning each member tasks that correlate to their experience and expertise and growing team skillsets.
- Mentors developers that are learning new skills during the project.
- On boards new development resources into the development team.
- Follows, and enforces, industry and Excella standards and best practices.
- Proven experience delivering modern analytics solutions using relational DBMS and NOSQL data platforms.
- Proficient working with Data Integration Tools (e.g. Talend, SSIS, Pentaho, Informatica).
- Experience designing and deploying solutions using dimensional data models (aka Star Schema).
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language (e.g. Python, Java)
- Experience working with large data volumes (millions, billions+).
- Expert in use of SQL, including performance tuning queries, use of explains plans, partitions, hints etc.
- Experience deploying solution in a Cloud environment such as AWS or Azure.
- Proficient in implementing automated testing techniques.
- Familiarity with DevOps concepts and tools.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communications skills
- Prior consulting experience with direct client interaction is preferred.
- Self-motivated and self-managing.
- Expert in identifying and communicating scope changes.
- Expert in educating and mentoring production staff on technical issues – will be asked to mentor developers.
- Able to lead small IT teams (5-10 IT professionals).
- Expert in creating reasonable and accurate time estimates for assigned tasks.
- Expert in interviewing and assessing new developer candidates.