We believe that great students are more than just book smart. Altus builds software that helps academic programs choose holistically exceptional applicants by providing reliable professionalism screening tests (like our signature CASPer(r) test) for use in the admission process. Think of CASPer like an “SAT” for people skills. The CASPer™ test was developed originally at McMaster University, and has been used to screen over 125,000 applicants for medicine, nursing, veterinary, optometry, pharmacy and teachers education schools in US, Canada, Australia and the UK over the last decade and we are growing rapidly. The test uses everyday scenarios to evaluate for universally useful skills like communication, collaboration, advocacy ethics and judgment.
We’re a quirky, diverse and intellectual group of 20 working out of the OneEleven scale-up space in the downtown core of Toronto. We tackle some tough problems (like how to evaluate empathy in someone who wants to become a doctor), and some less tough ones (like what to bring in for the communal snack table).
Working with Altus means high career growth and impact. It also means learning a ton from brilliant coworkers, as well as directing your own personal and professional growth. Along with full benefits, enhanced parental leave and self-directed vacation, we provide you with a budget for learning. Use it for a professional workshop, or use it to learn the kazoo- we believe in supporting the whole you.
What would you be doing?
We are looking for someone who can help us deliver smooth, secure assessments to our applicants and delight our academic program partners with applicant insights. You will do this by developing new features against our extensive product roadmap (led by our amazing product manager), working on 10x scaling projects and improving the way that we develop high quality, reliable code for high-stakes testing. Nearly all US and Canadian Medical School applicants will interact with a product you have helped make
If you thrive in a small startup, with autonomy to make decisions, run experiments, and continuously test and refine, then this is the place for you.
You’ll be responsible for:
- helping us capture an a market leadership position helping people be their best selves
- seeking out solutions for difficult problems related to security, scaling and reliable online assessment delivery (AKA Internet Based Testing or IBT)
- mentoring and being mentored by team members with your coding and process chops
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related experience
- Minimum 4 years of paid Software Development experience: please direct us to your git portfolio and/or point us to some code to review
- Minimum 2 Years experience with Mongo DB, blaze, MEAN/Meteor stack or comparable Node.js hands-on experience.
- Experience with heroku / EC2 / mongo / ubuntu / linux
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment environments
- Comfortable with writing unit and functional tests to contribute to a robust code base
- Start-up experience
- Free snacks, drinks, and coffee in our office
- $1500 annual personal and professional development budget
- Generous vacation policy
- Comprehensive health, dental and life insurance coverage
- Parental leave coverage
- Team building and social events
Altus is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors. Special accommodations for candidates with disabilities can be made during the interview process if requested.