We are looking for a talented developer to join the appear.in team.
Do you want to make a service that reaches millions of users globally every week? Do you want to contribute to making video the most awesome way to do communicate? Do you think WebRTC is the coolest technology since sliced bread? appear.in has led the way in using WebRTC to create radically simple web-based video conferencing. To take this to the next level and turn appear.in into the default tool for video communication, we need a passionate developer to join our team.
Key focus areas for this role
- You will be part of a high-performing development team that deploys code several times a day.
- You contribute to planning how a problem or task can be best solved, and work independently and efficiently on implementing the parts you are responsible for.
- You are interested in how end-users use our product, and make suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience.
Some things your day would consist of
- Writing awesome code throughout the stack
- Discussing how new features can be built, together with our designer, product manager, user researcher and other engineers.
- Breaking all assignments into smaller tasks that can realistically fit in a two-week sprint
- Demoing your work from the past sprint every other Thursday
- Working with GitHub and Amazon AWS infrastructure to deploy things as soon as they’re ready (or a little bit before)
- Getting your colleagues to review your code before it is merged, and helping them with reviewing theirs. You give constructive feedback and suggestions for how to improve code quality, security and scalability.
- Writing tests and making your code readable to others in case you get eaten by a yeti
- Setting up A/B tests to investigate how we can accelerate our growth
- Sharing what you’re doing and any problems you’re having in the daily engineering standup
- Going to meetups and conferences to represent appear.in
- You have 3+ years of experience with fullstack software development
- Experience with WebRTC or video conferencing is a BIG plus!
- You develop code in a disciplined manner with proper documentation and structure.
- You communicate efficiently and do development in collaboration with others
- You are self-driven and take responsibility for seeing your tasks through to release
- You have an academic background in computer science (BSc or MSc)
- You have strong passion for user experience
Why you should want this job
- appear.in is a fast-growing startup with a global user base of more than 1 million users per month, with a long-term vision of becoming a global mass-market product. By joining our team now, you get a chance to take part in the journey of building up our product!
- You will be an integral part of the process of designing the product, not just implementing specs.
- You get to choose your own dev machine and which tools to run on them.
- You get to work with modern development tools like GitHub, Terraform, Amazon AWS, Slack.
- You will become part of a tightly knit team of highly passionate people who aim to create the best possible user experience. We are not afraid of challenging status quo and aim for radical simplicity in everything we do.
- We have a remote working policy allowing people to work from anywhere and manage their own day
- We have awesome team building trips!
The goal of appear.in is to make it as natural to talk over video as meeting face to face, and we believe that the future of work will radically change when this happens. We invest in engaging with the remote work community, and constantly try to adapt our product to the ever-changing needs of people. We are targeting companies who want a more simple tool for video meetings, and already have thousands of paying customers worldwide. Our growth plans as ambitious, and we aim to launch a TEAMS plan for larger teams and companies this year. With more than 1 million users talking over video every month, we have a great foundation for continuing to grow while building up revenues.
We are a small team of 17 people primarily based in Oslo, and owned by the Norwegian Video conferencing company Videonor AS, based in Måløy. You can read more about the appear.in team and how we work at our Career pages, or follow us on our blog, Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
By applying for this position you give us permission to store and process any personal information you submit with your application for the duration of the opening. Your data will be deleted once the position has been filled.