Frontend Engineer (React.js/Node.js) at Hostmaker (London, UK)
Our attentive, guest-ready services create unforgettable experiences for those welcomed into the homes of our hosts. Guest-ready means exactly what it says on the tin: the little touches that do big things, from linen rentals and housekeeping to meeting and greeting excited explorers when they arrive. And we need a master-crafter of code to help us get our ducks in a line.
The tech team core to the business and is growing rapidly. We’ve more than doubled in size since November. It’s headed up by Ankur (IIT, Thoughtworks, CompareTheMarket).
Technology We Build
For a company of this size, we have an very wide variety of software, with a wide variety of users. We use restful services written in node.js that are backed by mysql-database and deployed in AWS(EBS & Docker). Our frontends are written using react & react-native. We also use python and ruby-on-rails in some of our applications. For example:
- A marketing website focused on property owners (hostmaker.com – written using react-static)
- A dashboard for our property owners to understand how we are looking after their properties and making them money (accounts.hostmaker.com – written in ember.js but being rewritten in react.js)
- A booking platform where you can book cleaning services, or someone to meet your guests (tributeportfoliohomes.com – written in next.js)
- A mobile app that our housekeepers, drivers and welcome wizards use (hostmaker-operations written using react-native)
- A tool to price all of our properties, and list across multiple booking sites (hostmaker.com/hostmaker-tech – airbnb, booking.com, homeaway etc), used by our team of pricing experts (written in ember.js but revamped version in react.js)
- A tool to algorithmically optimise the schedule of our field staff, so that they can move around the city in the most efficient way, used by our operations team (hostmaker.com/hostmaker-tech – written in node.js and react.js)
- Backend systems to manage all of our bookings, properties, guests etc from the office (node.js)
… and even more are planned.
And each one of them needs to work equally well in Paris, Barcelona, Rome, London, Lisbon, Cannes, Florence, Madrid, Bangkok and many more coming soon.
It’s a very friendly company, and you’ll get the support you need, but we’re looking for someone who can be trusted to work independently and to take the lead. You can go around the business, working out problems and building solutions. At the same time, you must be humble enough to take feedback and adjust your designs appropriately.