Principal Software Engineer (Python) at EAB (Washington, DC) (allows remote)
EAB is an education best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,200+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value.
At EAB, we serve not only our members but each other—that’s why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we’ve been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
The Role in Brief:
Principal Software Engineer – EAB Technology
The Principal Software Engineer is a critical member of the Education Advisory Board’s technology team and is deeply involved in the full product life cycle of multiple applications and the supporting data architecture. S/he will be part of a team of engineers working on the implementation of next generation technology for the education industry. This is a senior level and team leadership role. Key ingredients are an agile and adaptable mindset, self-motivated entrepreneurial spirit, capacity to give and receive constructive criticism, and a willingness to equally teach and learn.
The current opening is based in Washington, D.C., or remote.
- Build the next generation of EAB Platform Analytics services in the Cloud
- Work with the business team to clarify business requirements and provide effective technical designs aligning with industry best practices
- Drive the design and implementation of scalable, high performing and robust cloud applications delivered through serverless architectures.
- Ensure a high level of quality through design and implementation of unit, system integration, and performance testing
- Drive the adoption of new Cloud serverless technologies and architectures to ensure applications remain current and robust
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to more junior engineers
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of professional software development experience
- 4+ years of SQL knowledge, ideally on Postgres
- 3+ years of Python / Django full-stack experience
- AWS cloud architecture experience
- Solid experience architecting serverless applications using API Gateway and AWS SAM
- Experience architecting and delivering ETL services and analytics applications that use AWS Glue, Redshift, Athena or Aurora
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- REST API development experience
- Experience working with a team in a CI/CD environment and experience building CI/CD for cloud architectures.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- AWS cloud architecture certifications
- Business Intelligence experience (Tableau, Microstrategy, Qlik)
- Big Data experience (AWS EMR)
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match and day one full vesting
- Generous PTO
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.