Senior Backend Engineer at High Growth EdTech Startup at Homer (New York, NY) (allows remote)
HOMER is looking for an exceptional Backend Software Engineer to join our energetic, growing team. You will have a profound impact on a company that touches the lives of children, parents, and teachers across the globe with one of the most celebrated reading and learn-to-read platforms in the industry.
HOMER is a venture-backed, high-growth business that offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits in a creative, flexible environment that invests in professional development.
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will be a key member of our engineering team, building the back end services and infrastructure team essential to our growing business.
Our backend technology stack includes the following:
- Node.Js as the main programming language
- Python for handling long running internal processes
- Applications are hosted in AWS
- We use GIT for source control
- You should be enthusiastic about learning and applying new cutting edge technologies.
- You take ownership of your own work.
- You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and are able to convey a very technical situation to less technical colleagues.
- You are pragmatic, able to determine when and why it is the right call to take a step back and refactor old code versus putting together a quick fix.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and maintain key internal and public-facing back end systems
- Design redundant and scalable architectures for high performance web and mobile delivery
- Engineer simple and elegant solutions to challenging problems
- Design and engineer secure RESTful APIs
- Estimate and track tasks using Agile methodologies
- Plan and lead major projects from start to finish
You have experience in:
- Proficiency in Node.js
- Proficiency in at least one other programming language
- Experience in relational and non-relational databases
- Experience in unit testing and end-to-end testing
- Good knowledge of continuous delivery
- Good knowledge of software fundamentals design/architectural patterns. Experience with MVC frameworks
Over time, we expect you to grow by learning and practicing the following skills:
- Technical ownership
- Promoting best practices in coding and architecture
- Collaborating with and mentoring other members of the engineering team through code reviews and paired programming
- Becoming a vocal advocate of our engineering forward culture
- Good knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Good knowledge of Amazon Web Services
- Good knowledge of authentication, encryption and security techniques
- Experience building CMS and reporting systems
- Experience developing apps with Ed Tech industry standards. (e.g., Ex: PCI and COPPA compliance)
- Experience in a startup environment