Senior Software Engineer – Java/J2EE at Oportun (San Carlos, CA) (allows remote)
ABOUT TECHNOLOGY @ Oportun
The Technology team @ Oportun is dedicated to delivering and maintaining performant, elegant, and intuitive systems to our business partners and retail customers. We provide the platform, technology services, and interfaces that have enabled Oportun to serve over 1.1M customers with over $5 billion in life-changing, responsible loans disbursed.
We work on a very unique platform, combining service-oriented platform services with sophisticated user experiences, all enabled through a best-in-class (and fun to use!) automated development infrastructure. We prove that FinTech is more fun, more challenging, and in our case, more rewarding as we build technology that changes our customers’ lives. At the corporate level, Oportun delivers a very supportive and welcoming service experience, with bilingual staff across channels, and operates more than 270 locations in CA, IL, AZ, FL, NM, TX, UT & NV, with mobile services available in MO & WI.
Oportun is looking for experienced and motivated Senior Software Engineers across several of our internal Engineering teams. A little but about you… You are a solid engineer… someone that other engineers respect for cleanliness of code and someone that product managers love to work with because you understand the roadmap and are always thinking ahead in your design. You are curious, creative and constantly think of new ways to improve what we do so that we can fulfill our mission. A willingness to do whatever it takes to ship a product to market.
- Responsible for creating and influencing innovative solutions that meet not only functional, but also performance, scalability and reliability requirements.
- Highly motivated self-starter who loves ownership and responsibility while working in a collaborative and interdependent team environment.
- Work with multiple teams of engineers to design, develop, and test major software and systems components using an agile, vertical-slice based methodology.
- Work with QA to ensure product meets high quality standards.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years’ experience in core JAVA technologies including; Spring Framework, JMS, Hibernate, and Enterprise Integration Patterns.
- 3+ years’ experience with RESTful services and Service Oriented Architecture design patterns using Spring MVC.
- 3+ years’ experience with relational DBs like MySQL
- 3+ years’ experience working within an Agile/Scrum and CI/CD environment.
- Experience with Test Driven Development using JUnit/TestNG testing frameworks.
- Experience working with version control using GIT/BitBucket.
- Experience in the design of new systems or the redesign of existing systems to meet business requirements, changing needs, or newer technology.
- The ability to work with and mentor junior software engineers.
- Experience with one or more Front-End frameworks will be a strong plus.
- Experience with NoSQL Database like MongoDB will be a plus.
- Experience with AI/Machine Learning is a plus.
- Experience with Groovy is a plus
- Experience with Search technologies like Solr/Lucene
- Experience in financial services
- Sc. in Computer Science or related field
We offer competitive salaries, bonuses, stock options, great benefits and a fully loaded laptop of your choosing. We have strong opinions about work/life balance, and seek to create a comfortable and productive environment where we can ship apps that we’re proud of and that best serve our customers.